Week 16 & 15

A short recap:

Week 16:
84 miles (recovery week)
5x1000, 5x200m cut downs
Long tempo workout that I nailed (did alone, and didn't even stop! Yeah!) - recap here.

Week 15:
109 miles
24 mile run with 3 cut down miles (20, 21, 22) at 6:30, 6:15, 6:00.
4x2 miles MP with .5 mile recovery (20 miles total)
3 doubles

I experienced a definite "fatigue" last half of week 15.  I can tell it's just my legs responding getting back to more significant mileage.  I am getting stronger and more fit, but it just takes time - one day at a time, right?  I knew toward the second half of the week that I'd struggle with the 4x2 mile workout (the easy runs Thurs and Fri were really slow and I sometimes even stopped to walk up hills - my calves were very tired, felt swollen), and I did.  I couldn't move my legs fast enough to engage my lungs.  I think most miles were slower than 6:30?  Ug!  Brenden was in town to do the workout with me and I couldn't remotely keep up.  Oh, well.  Have to break myself down in order to become stronger, right? 

I nailed the 24 mile run, which is a confidence booster.  I am strong enough to handle long runs like this and bring paces down toward the end of the run.  Granted, the faster miles were indoors on a treadmill since footing around here isn't great, but still.  I'll take it!

The only other update would be that I decided not to pursue the CA course.  I just had a day to pull everything together, trying to arrange a decently priced flight, trying to contact coaches to shadow, etc.  Plus, I'd ideally like to meet coaches like this after I've shadowed a lot of other local and regional coaches, have had more experience with my current athletes, and GAC and Carleton training plans so I can come with very specific questions and applicable experiences.  I'd also want to book a lunch with the speakers to pick their brains on training programs and feel like at this point I just don't know enough to make the absolute best out of that opportunity (it has sped up my studying of my new coaching books, though!  Although that Martin/Coe book is quite daunting...).

That's it for now.  Hard workout on tap for tomorrow, eek!

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

1 comment:

  1. Way to kill your 24 miler! Keep up the hard work lady!